Mandatory Electrical Safety Regulations
We are writing to make you aware of important new regulations, the Electrical Safety Standards that come into force on 1st July 2020. The regulations require landlords to have the electrical installations in their properties inspected and tested by a qualified and competent person, at least every 5 years. This is to ensure the properties are safe for occupation.
What are the requirements?
- That national standards for electrical safety are met.
- Only a qualified and competent person can inspect and test the electrical installations and it must be carried out at least every 5 years.
- A report is obtained providing the results and sets a date for the next inspection and test due.
- A copy of this report must be provided to the existing tenant within 28 days of the inspection and test.
- A copy of this report must be supplied to a new tenant before they occupy the property.
- Must supply a copy of the report to any prospective tenant within 28 days of receiving a request.
- Supply the local authority with a copy of the report within 7 days of receiving a request for a copy.
- Retain a copy of the report to give to the inspector and tester who will undertake the next inspection and test.
- Where the report shows that remedial or further investigative work is necessary, the work must be completed within 28 days or any shorter period if specified as necessary in the report.
- Supply written confirmation of the completion of the remedial works from the electrician to the tenant within 28 days of completion of the works.
What properties does it apply to?
Applies to all residential properties with new Tenancies or renewals starting from 1st July 2020 and existing Tenancies from 1st April 2021.
What will be inspected and tested?
All ‘fixed’ electrical parts of the property, wiring, plug sockets, light fittings and the consumer unit will be inspected. This will include permanently connected equipment such as showers and extractors. The Regulations do not cover electrical appliances, only the fixed electrical installations.
What will the report show?
That the electrical installation should be safe for continued use. Classification codes will be used to indicate where remedial work must be carried out.
What about new build properties or new electrical installations?
If a property is newly built or has been completely rewired, it should have an Electrical Installation Certificate known as an EIC. This can be provided to the Tenant and no further test required until 5 years after the EIC was issued.
What if the remedial work is not carried out?
The local authority can serve a remedial notice on the landlord requiring remedial action. If ignored the local authority can arrange for remedial action to be carried out themselves and can recover the costs of taking this action.
What are the Penalties?
Local authorities can impose a financial penalty of up to £30,000 on any Landlord who is in breach of their duties.
Our recommendation is to take a proactive approach and arrange for an electrical check at your property as soon as possible so that you are compliant before the deadline.
We have engaged with experienced electricians who can carry out the required checks on your behalf at a competitive rate. Should you confirm below that you would like us to assist, we will be in touch to provide the contractors charges, which are dependent on the size of the property.
Approximate costs are currently as per the below all though this may vary depending on size and internal wiring complexity etc:
1 Bed = £320
2 Bed = £375
3 Bed+ = £440
In order to avoid multiple property visits and keep costs to a minimum the electricians will be authorised to rectify any minor non-compliant issues whilst onsite, up to an agreed additional spend limit of £200 + VAT.
A charge of 12% inc VAT will be applied by Plaza Estates as a referral fee to instruct the inspection and test on your behalf and if we are asked to arrange any required remedial works a further charge of 12% inc VAT of the cost of remedial works will be due.
If you already have a certificate, please send this through to your lettings contact as soon as possible. Otherwise, please contact us below or call: 0207-724-5722 to arrange.